Jon had originally requested the sweater in a khaki colour, but I couldn't find anything suitable at the fabric market so went with this light blue stable knit instead. I bought 2.5 metres of the stuff and easily have enough leftover to make something else. Maybe a matching sweater for myself! A bit much? Yes, a bit much...
|I think he's spoiling for a fight here|
Anyway the fabric is fairly soft on the outside but the inside is a little scratchy, so I decided to line it with some lightweight knit that I had. Unlike the stable outer knit, the inner one is very soft and drapey and was a bit of a nightmare to sew. I deviated from the instructions slightly and sewed up the outer and lining (minus the cuffs and hem band), and then basted them together at the neckline before sewing in the collar. I also basted the two layers together at the sleeve end and base of the sweater before attaching the cuffs and hem band.
The collar got me completely foxed. I read the instructions over and over, and looked at the sewalong posts about it, but I just couldn't work out how it attached to the neckline! In the end I just went with what I understood the directions to be, pinned it loads and sewed very slowly. And it did work! I think though the positioning dots need to be wider spaced, and I'm not sure if this is just something that I did wrong but my collar 'under' ended up being what you can see on top.
|I love top stitching|
|Brushed cotton decorative facing, tag from Mollie Makes and tree ribbon for a pro finish|