The pattern was exactly what I wanted for Pilates wear - a comfortable and fairly loose fit in a flattering style. Maria posted a tutorial for lengthening the sleeves a few months ago and I followed this, adding 9cm in length. This added coverage for my arms (not my fave feature!) and meant I'd be marginally warmer in the often chilly studio.
|Sorry, falling asleep on the job here|
The pattern doesn't come with seam allowances included and also gets you to do a bit of maths to work out the length of your neckline binding, but this wasn't too taxing. I cut a size S and didn't bother to add the seam allowances (#lazyseamstress). Other than lengthening the sleeves I made no other changes.
Sidenote, whilst taking these pictures my husband commented 'you look really small!'. Well my love, at 5 foot 2 I don't think I'm ever going to look tall.. It's only taken him 9 years to notice!
|Hmm, bit of sway back action there!|
The fabric is some slinky viscose jersey which I had leftover from lining Jon's Finlayson Sweater. It's not the ideal fabric as it creases really easily. I don't iron clothes at the best of times, and certainly not for exercise classes! It was good for a tester though, and very comfortable to wear.
The only problem I had construction wise was with the neckline. I'm pretty sure that the maths for the length of my neck binding was right, but it doesn't want to lie flat at the shoulder seams. I'm not sure if this is because of how long I cut the binding, how much I stretched it, or whether it's because there's a fairly tight corner for it to go around, being a boatneck style. It's not massively noticeable but enough to bother me.
After a bit of research I corrected this in my second version...
This version I made up exactly the same as my first, but just finished the neckline using a different technique. I cut the binding piece in two (making one slightly longer than the other) and before I did anything else, I sewed the binding to the front and back necklines separately. I then flipped the binding pieces to the inside and topstitched them down, before sewing up the top as instructed. This gave a nice neat finish and solved my problem of the neckline not lying flat.
I got the fabric for this top from Utrecht's fabric market, for the whopping price of 3 euros. I think it's also viscose, but is a thicker weight than the blue material. Because it's cheap it also has some quirks - after it's been washed the blue lines in the fabric wrinkle up somewhat, and need a lot of steam to look as flat as they do in the photos. Again, not something I'm going to do for Pilates! I'm just going to call it texture and move on. *sigh*
|I didn't do a sway back adjustment, but it's really not as noticeable here|
This was my first time working with stripy fabric, so I tried hard to make sure that the stripes at the side seams would match up.
Not a bad job I'd say! (Excuse the ghost hand) This was helped by using a whole load of pins and my walking foot (which I tend to use for most projects because it cost me so much money. Why Bernina, why?!).
Whilst the side seams are looking good, I kind of forgot it might be nice if the shoulder seams also matched:
To be honest though I think they're off enough that it doesn't matter. I also think it may have been tricky to get them to match as the back sleeve is a different shape to the font.
For both tops I hemmed the sleeves and bodice using a twin needle. I added a strip of stretchy fusible interfacing first to the wrong side, which stabilises the fabric and reduces that 'tunneling' you can get with twin needles.
I really like the fit of these tops and the way they turned out, especially as the pattern was freeee. Plus they were really quick to sew up (especially if you don't make extra work for yourself by adding pattern matching into the mix). After looking at the examples again on Maria's blog I'd quite like to make a few short sleeve versions of these, they look really flattering on her.